föstudagur, apríl 27, 2007

Week 4; i have different weeks than you

The man. The man looked to be in his 70's; grey-white hair, a little too much weight, a number oflaugh lines. He was in the music section of a bookstore in Quebec City, 9:30 in the evening. So was I. I was looking for information about Jean Leloup, and other French singers. I sidle past him glancing over his shoulder for a sign of French musicians on the rack. Nothing. Without turning to look at me, he talks.
"Conaissez-vous Neil Young?"
I'm a bit perturbed. "Ouais, un peu."
"Je cherche pour Neil Young.. aucun. Hmmmm."
I laugh a bit. He is friendly, open. So far, I've been able to follow his French. His accent is clear (unlike many Quebecois! gah hehe), and he so far hasn't used any difficult words.
Suddenly he turns and asks me a question and I don't know what he has said. I don't know what to say.. "Je sais pas."
He looks at me oddly. Then in English, "Are you a student?"
"Yes! I'm learning French!" It is so easy to step back into English when you know someone understands.
"Ahh une etudiante francaise, oui? You should be speaking French then," I laugh, and embarressed, study the carpet on the floor. " I learned all my English by listening to CBC. To the radio."
I tell him(in French) that his English is excellent.
We talk a bit about why I'm in Quebec City. No, I'm not a university student. Still in high school. I want to travel.
He finds his book, I am unlucky, and a friend is waiting for me outside anyways. Before we part ways, he leaves with one piece of advice,
"Tu dois ecouter a la Radio Canada. Je vais ecouter a CBC encore, et tu peut ecouter a la version francaise."
As things seem fairly hopeful for me landing a summer job in montreal, I've been listening more to Radio Canada to help catch up on my French. I keep thinking of this man. It is weird how a couple simple sentences from a stranger can stay firm in your mind for almost a year. It was one of those moments, I guess. One of those unforgettable romantic evenings (romantic novel-wise, not romantic kissy kissy-wise. I love romantic novels.. Tolstoy, etc.). There aren't many, but they're beautiful.

ps. i'm aware my written french here is pretty bad. lol.

8 ummæli:

Jonathan sagði...

sure, let's just force jonathan to learn another language why don't we?

what are you going to be doing in montreal this summer? cause it already sounds awesome enough to make me unbelievably jealous.

kathleen sagði...

that is such a neat story! i really like it! sound so interesting. i love french!

Madeleine sagði...

www.wordreference.com
fingers crossed, i'll be working in an inner-city daycamp. best way to learn french, because if you dont figure the language out, KIDS COULD DIE. lol
come and visit me, when you get back from china. i want lots of people to come on weekends and such. :)

Madeleine sagði...

i suppose most of everyone will be working, but im sure they'll all miss me so much, they would feel compelled to take time off.

Darryl sagði...

je te visiterai, maddy, si je peut

Darryl sagði...

*peux

Madeleine sagði...

yaaaaaaaay

kathleen sagði...

montreal eh? well get me someone who can drive me there and i'll visit you when i'm not busy. cause i don't have a job. but i'm going out west and i have a missions trip to mexico! but i'd love to visit otherwise!