mánudagur, apríl 16, 2007

Week 3

My character this week is a man named Gordon Cleland. He plays the cello. He teaches at Brock U. He gets nervous in front of groups of people, and shows it expressively. He believes in expression of the player more than the expression of the sound. He plays the cello like a violinist. He has bad breath. He was my adjudicator at the Peel Music Fest yesterday.
It surprised me to see a professional performer so nervous in front of mere students. I played at 2:30 PM, and his hands were shaking as he handed out the awards and adjudications, his voice shook when he talked, he spoke abruptly, and he refused to look anyone in the eye. His eyes had that deer-in-the-headlights look. I played again at 7:30 PM, and the same thing! How can a person go an entire day an utter wreck? And he'd been adjudicating the whole week! A whole week of nervousness? Gahhh!
I don't understand... not showing your nerves is one of the first things a performer is taught. You need to look confident in front of people, no matter what the circumstance, or they will not take you seriously. There are so many techniques to hiding what you're actually feeling from the audience, I find it hard to believe he hasn't come across them at one time or another.
So my other theory is that he was on drugs.

4 ummæli:

kathleen sagði...

i get so incredibly nervous when i play an instrument. well the piano. it's insane. i think i'm slowly getting better. but it's a very long and painful process. at least i'm not on drugs though :P. this was interesting to read. good to know that i'm not the only one who gets nervous. and my mom wants me to go into music. pffftt.

Madeleine sagði...

i say go for it! so much good can come from being able to plonk out a great angry piece on an instrument. or a sweet romantic one, if you're feeling romantic.
music is the universal language everyone can relate to. its awesome. to get philosophical.
the nice thing about music, i find, is that your voice doesnt have to give away your nerves by being all wavery, as you don't need your voice at all.
drama made me realize that i put my nerves in my voice. ugh. not good.

Jonathan sagði...

i always get so nervous before playing guitar for a crowd. for a while i thought tenor sax was my safety zone, i could play that without the nerves. but then mr. hayward gave me a solo in band. wow, i couldn't even play my lips were shaking so much. not fun. does this mean i'm on drugs?

Madeleine sagði...

it isnt the being nervous so much.. everyone gets nervous. its the being professional, and not knowing how to hide your nerves which confuses me.